Tuesday, February 28, 2012

The Conclusion of Moral Conundrum

My boss fired my coworker yesterday.

He pulled me aside in the morning and said he had thought about it over the weekend and decided he had to follow his instincts and was letting the person go. No room for discussion this time, and if there had been I probably would have wound up shouting at him.

I emailed my former coworker's home email from my private email and told them I was sorry to see them go and offer myself as a reference for them only to learn that my boss had more or less forbade them from even saying goodbye to me. I'm not sure if this is from fear of what I would say about our conversation last week or if he thought my former coworker would bad mouth him to me but it became fruitless in any case.

I would have posted about this yesterday but I now find myself doing my job, my coworker's, training 2 new people who started this week, coordinating an office move/rearrangement, along with dealing with my boss' usual bullshit. I will also be adding to that list job hunting in my off hours because, while it is his right to employ who he chooses, it is my right to not have to stay there and put up with his ethically questionable behavior and bad business sense.

All in all I rank his actions around an 8 on the FT scale because he not only let go a highly qualified employee for no reason but will now lose another valued member of his team because of it.

4 comments:

  1. Good lordy...

    Defiantly time to get out of dodge. Then your boss can deal with all this crap and realise his loss when you leave.

    -Ler

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. Now my new moral dilemma is, when I quit, do I:

      1) tell my boss exactly why I'm leaving and what I think of him, sacrificing any potential reference, probably being asked to leave same day, and leaving my coworkers high and dry

      2) keep my silence, fulfilling the standard 2 weeks, salvage a reference, save my coworkers a lot of headache, but leave my boss still blissfully unaware of the hardship he places upon people

      Delete
    2. It depends on in part if you want a reference from this guy.

      The safe thing would be to go with number 2. However, if you want to stick it to this guy then number 1 might be good.

      -Ler

      Delete
    3. I'm leaning towards number one because I'm tired of my coworkers being afraid to say anything

      Delete